It’s almost National Hot Buttered Rum Day! Haven’t had it? No worries! National Hot Buttered Rum Day is celebrated on January 17th and originated in Europe. It is usually enjoyed in the fall and winter when it is cold because it is known as “comfort in a mug”.
Join us in celebrating with this recipe!
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup spiced rum
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 sticks cinnamon, for garnish
- Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup.
- Add the rum and then 2 cups of boiling water.
- Stir until the butter mixture dissolves.
- Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs.
- Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.
For more recipes check out The Tasting Room!
To shop for this recipe, visit NH Liquor and Wine Outlet.